Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Keeping it artificial for over 100 Years!

Hi everyone,

Just read the article from 1898.  I am struck by the question "what is more artificial than the usual language work in school?".  How unfortunate that 113 years later we continue to promote schooling experiences that are contrived, inauthentic and reduce learning to trivial, disconnected parts!

Technology has the potential to make learning more whole by combining viewing, listening, reading, writing and creating.  It is a path to student engagement.  I am convinced that it may be the only way to keep youth actively engaged in schools and in the continuous dialogue that is learning.

This class has opened my eyes to so many possibilities - thanks to Todd and all of you.  How fortunate to have been able to hear your creative ideas and technology applications.  I can't wait until summer when I can begin to focus on actually carrying out the nuts and bolts of my project so that in the fall I can work with staff to more fully integrate technology into instruction at West - at least starting with those 5th graders!

I want to minimize "...time wasted in mathematics in simply ciphering unreal problems..." and in all content areas. The opportunities of the web, simulations, YouTube, blogs, animation programs, video creations, etc. are endless and they represent a huge untapped resource to bring students actively into the classroom to develop their creativity, problem solving and cooperative strategies.

I'm feeling pretty excited - even at 4:15 am.....

Sorry to miss you all tonight - I'll be on a plane to Argentina during class and will not be able to connect.  Hope to be able to continue this discussion on some level.  Enjoy your spring!

Karina

No comments:

Post a Comment